BWS History

The Birmingham Watercolour Society was founded in 1907.
Letters to the ‘Mail’, a local Birmingham newspaper, suggested
that there be an organisation formed which would be dedicated to
the advancement of painting in watercolour. The response was
considerable and soon after the Society was born under the
Presidency of Mr Walter Showell.

By the late 19th Century the area had already become a centre for
excellence for the creative arts. Contemporary organisations such
as the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists (RBSA), the Birmingham
Art Circle, and the Easel Club (founded by Walter Langley) were well
established and indeed continue to flourish to this day.

The painter membership moved on in the 20th Century with many
contributions by BWS members to the exhibitions of the Royal
Institute of Painters in Watercolours, Royal Society of Painters in
Watercolours, Royal Society of Marine Artists, the Royal Cambrian
Academy of Art and the Royal West of England Academy.

Today this distinguished Society elects artist members from a wide
geographical spectrum. Meetings are held monthly and the Society
stages at least two exhibitions each year. Membership to the BWS is
via election and talented painters in watercolour are both welcome
and encouraged to apply to the Society for selection.

If visitors to the site which to purchase or commission work by a BWS member please do so via our contact page.